Splendid Sampler 2 – Free as a Bird

Here is my block for Splendid Sampler 2.  I enjoy sewing with friends, travelling around the world teaching and meeting new quilters.  I named my block “Free as a Bird” because my quilting career has set me free – travelling to places that I never thought I’d visit.  I only started travelling in the last five years and I’ve met many wonderful quilters and made many great new friends along the way. To download a free pattern for this block go to Splendid Sampler 2.

Free as a Bird – Splendid Sampler 2

Here is something special that you can make with my block.  I decided to make a needlecase using the bird block.

Recently I have been fascinated with “kantha stitching” and have done a lot of research on it.  I decided to use some of that stitching for my needlecase cover.

Free as a Bird Needlecase front

The back of the needlecase cover includes circles and some more stitching.

Inside

For a free pattern click here.

I hope you enjoy making this needlecase and please send me photos.

17 thoughts on “Splendid Sampler 2 – Free as a Bird

1. Anne Hayward says:

I love both the block and this cute needle case thank you for sharing your talents with us on our journey with this fun challenge

2. Sandi H says:

Your block and needlecase are lovely! I’ve started making inside pockets on my needle cases for quite some time even if the pattern doesn’t include them. I also like taller needle cases to accommodate my specialty needles.

Thank you for both goodies.

3. Sidney Kimbroughly Mcwhorter says:

I can’t wait until I make your block and needle case! My grandfather loved birds, and taught me to love nature! Thank you designing a bird block!!!

4. Irene McConnell says:

Love your block, my dad has Alzheimer’s and he loves birds this will definitely be going into a quilt for him thank you

5. Michele Bender says:

Thanks for a really fun block to sew. Now that I’ve completed the SS2 block I am ready to start the sweet needle book pattern. The kantha stitching should be fun and I have just the threads I want to use to make it sing.

6. Kathleen Cullen says:

Irene, thank you for this sweet pattern. I thoroughly enjoyed you class & have been constantly working on mosaic. Have a wonderful New Year & safe travels. Kathleen Cullen